LACEY AND LARKIN FRONTERA FUND
Many factors have contributed to the current immigration crises. However, immigrants have their rights regardless of their reasons for migration. There are many groups that advocate for these civil, human and migrant rights in America and the Lacey and Larkin Frontera Fund is one of them. Others include Puente and The American Immigration Council. Here is more information about these groups.
American immigration council:
This is a non-profit human rights group which advocates for policies, attitudes and promoting immigrants rights. Read more: Village Voice Media | Wikipedia
The American Immigration Council aims to shape the face of this century’s idea of the American immigration experience. The Council does this through litigation and communications, international exchange, policy analysis, and research. Some of the roles that they play in advocating for immigrants include:
- International cultural exchange through the Exchange Visitor Program which promotes the culture of various immigrant societies. Through this, the perceptions of immigrants are dispelled from the American Society.
- The American Immigration Council acts like an advocate of immigrants in the American courts. They do this by demanding for their rights and demanding for fair judicial processes for the immigrants.
- This non-profit human rights group ensures that balanced and fair immigration policies are formulated by the American government.
Puente was formed in 2007 to combat the illegal detentions of immigrants in Arizona during the anti-Mexican tussle. The group’s main objective is to empower and advocate for the rights of the immigrants. Read more: Michael Larcey | Crunchbase
Some of the activities that Puente uses to push their agenda include marches, civil disobedience acts, pressure on the American government, hunger strikes, drives among others. In addition to this, the human rights group also advises the migrants on their deportation court proceedings. Other activities that they participate in include arts and culture that foster the rights and plight of immigrants and a crisis hotline which is designed to assist migrants and the rest of the community.
Puente also encourages immigrants to participate in other projects which will assist them in being integrated into the American society. These activities include:
- Creation of identification cards.
- The group holds bilingual activities which employ the art of storytelling, field trips and other forms of art to teach kids about the cultural identity of kids.
- Promotes the health and wellness of the immigrant community.
- They also have a library that stocks history books that have been banned by the national government within the Tuscon area.
- Advocating for civil cases that defend the rights of immigrants.
The Lacey and Larkin Feontera Funds
The Lacey and Larkin Frontera Fund was started in 2013. The Arizona-based foundation was started in a bid to fight for the rights of migrants in America. The fund was started by Michael and Jim. The two are journalists who were detained illegally for publishing an article that exposed Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County.
After the night arrest, the journalists who were working for Phoenix New Times and Village Voice Media were subjected to court proceedings which didn’t follow the due process of the law. Due to this Larkin and Lacey sued the Maricopa County and they got 3.7 million dollars of settlement money which they used to start the Lacey and Larkin Frontera Fund.
Learn more about Michael Lacey: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/immigration/2014/12/16/proceeds-arpaio-suit-fund-asu-journalism-chair/20480479/